For more COVID-19 updates, scroll down to the Latest Updates section.
Our entire organization continues to be focused on implementing our pandemic plan, which is the result of expert contributions from all provinces where we operate. We took early concrete steps to protect our communities, but we understand the situation is evolving daily. Every day, teams from throughout the organization meet and use our plan to guide them as they continue work to ensure the safety of our communities.
Following is important information about steps we are taking in our communities in light of the global COVID-19 pandemic. It is updated regularly and if you are searching for information not found here, do not hesitate to contact us. Details about how to connect with us and receive updates is included below.
- Visitor Restrictions: All Shannex, Parkland and Faubourg communities are currently closed to visitors. We took early action to close our communities to visitors. All communities remain closed to visitors, with the exception of visits to residents receiving palliative care. If you or your loved one is in a situation where we must make an exception to this measure, you must be actively screened as per our active screening protocol. If you pass the active protocol, you must wear a mask at all times and must visit the resident only in their suite. All absolutely necessary vendors/contractors (care workers, etc.) must also be actively screened. If they pass active screening, they must wear a mask at all times.
- Employee Screening Protocol Updated: All Shannex, Parkland and Faubourg team members participate in advanced screening protocols before entering the workplace. These are consistent with directives issued by provincial public health bodies. All sites have implemented active screening at entrances to the site. This includes temperature checks of employees upon arrival for their scheduled shifts and employees are required enter their location via a designated entry point.
- Physical (Social) Distancing: While continuing to comply with all physical distancing directives, we are working to increase recreation programming and staffing in order to offer more programs to keep residents engaged and active. All communities have programs in place to help families connect with loved ones through video calls, telephone calls, email or deliveries.
- Staying Connected: Staying connected with loved ones is very important, especially during uncertain times. Although visitors are not currently permitted, we are developing additional supports, including sending more iPads to communities, to help keep loved ones in touch. Recreation teams are checking in with residents daily and are happy to pass along messages, love and warm wishes.
- Keeping Active: We are in the process of increasing our recreation personnel, extending recreation hours and providing additional programming on evenings and weekends. Keeping active is important: we are encouraging residents to continue walking and staying physically active while also respecting physical distancing principles.
- Deliveries: Long Term Care – Deliveries of personal items for residents in Long Term Care communities are no longer accepted. While we understand this is difficult, this decision was made with the safety of our residents and team members in mind. Retirement Living – Loved ones are welcome to drop off essential items only (groceries and pharmacy items) for residents at (not inside) the front door. The items must be double bagged.
- Dining: Dining rooms and meal service have been adapted to ensure physical distancing standards. For our licensed long term care homes, measures that have been taken to expand the size of the dining room, distance people sitting at a same table and temporarily schedule two times for meal service. For retirement living communities, we have moved to a system of delivering meals to residents’ suites.
- Supplies: Our procurement team has secured additional medical and operational supplies at all locations.
- Food: Culinary teams have increased food supply at each location to ensure a month’s worth of food in case of delayed deliveries.
- Cleaning: We introduced increased cleaning and disinfecting protocols that will continue.
- Site Communications Updates: Each community is sending regular site communications updates to residents and families. If you are not currently receiving these messages, please contact your community directly to be added to their email distribution list.
For more details on the actions we have taken to take care of your loved ones, click here.
Information line: 1-877-541-0835
- May 22, 2020 – Update on Resident and employee cases
- May 7, 2020 – Update on resident and employee cases
- May 6, 2020 – Community Report
- May 5, 2020 – A message to our valued community
- April 30, 2020 – Mother’s Day
- April 23, 2020 – Community Report
- April 21, 2020 – A message to our valued community
- April 18, 2020 – Community Report
- April 17, 2020 – FAQ – What happens when a resident/employee tests positive for COVID-19
- April 16, 2020 – Community Report
- April 14, 2020 – Designated Care/Cohorting Areas Established
- April 13, 2020 – Confirmed Resident Cases of COVID-19
- April 11, 2020 – Media Correction
- April 9, 2020 – Physical (Social) Distancing
- April 7, 2020 – A message to our valued community
- April 7, 2020 – A message to residents and families at Shannex licensed long term care communities
- April 5, 2020 – Update to April 4, 2020 Message
- April 4, 2020 – Employees Test Positive for COVID-19: REVISED APRIL 5, 2020, 3P.M.
- April 3, 2020 – A message of gratitude to our valued community
- April 1, 2020 – Employee Screening Protocol Updated
- March 30, 2020 – An update to our valued community from Jason Shannon, President and COO
- March 28, 2020 – Employee at Lewis Hall Tests Positive for COVID-19
- March 26, 2020 – Communities are sharing regular site level communications updates with their residents. Please contact your community if you are not currently receiving these messages.
- March 23, 2020 – An update to our valued community from Jason Shannon, President and COO
- March 19, 2020 – Keeping Residents Engaged
- March 17, 2020 – Frequently asked questions for residents and families
- March 17, 2020 – Bridgeview Hall Opening Delayed
- March 16, 2020 – An update to our valued community from Jason Shannon, President and COO
- March 15, 2020 – All Shannex, Parkland and Faubourg communities are currently closed to visitors
- March 13, 2020 – COVID-19 Update
- March 10, 2020 – COVID-19 Update
- March 6, 2020 – COVID-19 Update
Information for Residents and Families
- Keeping Residents Engaged
- FAQ – General information about COVID-19
- FAQ – I have a loved one in a Shannex Long Term Care community
- FAQ – I have a loved one in a Parkland Retirement Living / Lifestyle Residences Community
- FAQ – What happens when a resident/employee tests positive for COVID-19
CLICK HERE to easily contact a specific Shannex, Parkland or Faubourg community.
For reliable information about COVID-19, we recommend the following: