For more COVID-19 updates, scroll down to the Latest Updates section.
Our entire organization continues to be focused on implementing our pandemic plan, which is the result of expert contributions from all provinces where we operate. We took early concrete steps to protect our communities, but we understand the situation is evolving daily. Teams from throughout the organization meet daily and use our plan as a guide as they continue work to ensure the safety of our communities. We have also begun to introduce measures to help residents connect with their families and friends in some communities in compliance with directives from Public Health and with the safety and wellness of residents and our teams as our priority. In every region where we operate, our plan will be to lessen restrictions in a phased approach that is consistent with our guiding principles and provincial phases and triggers.
Following is important information about our response to COVID-19. It is updated regularly and if you are searching for information not found here, do not hesitate to contact us. Details about how to connect with us and receive updates is included below.
- Visitor Restrictions: At this time, in compliance with Public Health directives, we have processes in place to safely accommodate visits at all of our Shannex, Parkland and Faubourg communities in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Ontario. Please contact a member of the management team at your location for more details about how to schedule a visit with your loved one.
- Employee Screening Protocol Updated: All Shannex, Parkland and Faubourg team members participate in advanced screening protocols before entering the workplace. These are consistent with directives issued by provincial public health bodies. All sites have implemented active screening at entrances to the site. This includes temperature checks of employees upon arrival for their scheduled shifts and employees are required enter their location via a designated entry point.
- Physical (Social) Distancing: While continuing to comply with all physical distancing directives, we are working to increase recreation programming and staffing in order to offer more programs to keep residents engaged and active. All communities have programs in place to help families connect with loved ones through video calls, telephone calls, email or deliveries.
- Staying Connected: Staying connected with loved ones is very important, especially during uncertain times. Although visitors are not currently permitted, we are developing additional supports, including sending more iPads to communities, to help keep loved ones in touch. Recreation teams are checking in with residents daily and are happy to pass along messages, love and warm wishes.
- Keeping Active: We have increased our recreation personnel, extended recreation hours and provided additional programming on evenings and weekends. Keeping active is important: we are encouraging residents to continue walking and staying physically active while also respecting physical distancing principles.
- Deliveries: As part of our evolving response, we monitor and control deliveries closely to ensure we are following best infection control practices and protecting residents and team members. For details about how to arrange a delivery at your location, please contact a member of the management team.
- Dining: Dining rooms and meal service have been adapted to ensure physical distancing standards. For our licensed long term care homes, measures that have been taken to expand the size of the dining room, distance people sitting at a same table and temporarily schedule two times for meal service. For retirement living communities, we have moved to a system of delivering meals to residents’ suites.
NOTE: For unlicensed communities in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, we have begun to lessen some restrictions consistent with Public Health directives. Please review our Road to Connection Plan and contact a member of the management team at your location for more details.
- Supplies: Our procurement team has secured additional medical and operational supplies at all locations.
- Food: Culinary teams have increased food supply at each location to ensure a month’s worth of food in case of delayed deliveries.
- Cleaning: We introduced increased cleaning and disinfecting protocols that will continue.
- Site Communications Updates: Each community is sending regular site communications updates to residents and families. If you are not currently receiving these messages, please contact your community directly to be added to their email distribution list.
For more details on the actions we have taken to take care of your loved ones, click here.
Information line: 1-877-541-0835
- October 21, 2020 – COVID-19 Lessons Learned
- September 23, 2020 – Designated Support Persons
- June 18, 2020 – Welcoming Visitors Back to our Communities
- May 27, 2020 – A message to our valued community
- May 22, 2020 – Update on Resident and employee cases
- May 7, 2020 – Update on resident and employee cases
- May 6, 2020 – Community Report
- May 5, 2020 – A message to our valued community
- April 30, 2020 – Mother’s Day
- April 23, 2020 – Community Report
- April 21, 2020 – A message to our valued community
- April 18, 2020 – Community Report
- April 17, 2020 – FAQ – What happens when a resident/employee tests positive for COVID-19
- April 16, 2020 – Community Report
- April 14, 2020 – Designated Care/Cohorting Areas Established
- April 13, 2020 – Confirmed Resident Cases of COVID-19
- April 11, 2020 – Media Correction
- April 9, 2020 – Physical (Social) Distancing
- April 7, 2020 – A message to our valued community
- April 7, 2020 – A message to residents and families at Shannex licensed long term care communities
- April 5, 2020 – Update to April 4, 2020 Message
- April 4, 2020 – Employees Test Positive for COVID-19: REVISED APRIL 5, 2020, 3P.M.
- April 3, 2020 – A message of gratitude to our valued community
- April 1, 2020 – Employee Screening Protocol Updated
- March 30, 2020 – An update to our valued community from Jason Shannon, President and COO
- March 28, 2020 – Employee at Lewis Hall Tests Positive for COVID-19
- March 26, 2020 – Communities are sharing regular site level communications updates with their residents. Please contact your community if you are not currently receiving these messages.
- March 23, 2020 – An update to our valued community from Jason Shannon, President and COO
- March 19, 2020 – Keeping Residents Engaged
- March 17, 2020 – Frequently asked questions for residents and families
- March 17, 2020 – Bridgeview Hall Opening Delayed
- March 16, 2020 – An update to our valued community from Jason Shannon, President and COO
- March 15, 2020 – All Shannex, Parkland and Faubourg communities are currently closed to visitors
- March 13, 2020 – COVID-19 Update
- March 10, 2020 – COVID-19 Update
- March 6, 2020 – COVID-19 Update
Information for Residents and Families
- Keeping Residents Engaged
- FAQ – General information about COVID-19
- FAQ – I have a loved one in a Shannex Long Term Care community
- FAQ – I have a loved one in a Parkland Retirement Living / Lifestyle Residences Community
- FAQ – What happens when a resident/employee tests positive for COVID-19
CLICK HERE to easily contact a specific Shannex, Parkland or Faubourg community.
For reliable information about COVID-19, we recommend the following: